The Volcano Region

The Volcano Region
"This Baby's about to erupt"

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Are You Managing Time or is Time Managing You??




We are now more than 30 days into the new year...How are you doing? Are you finding that you are managing your time effectively or is time managing you? One true way to tell is your frustration level.. At the end of your day, do you feel like you are getting your plans accomplished, do you feel that the day was productive or do you feel like you are in a constant tug a war with your schedule, your list, your obligations, your job, your family and even yourself??? That question at first may seem a little extreme, but in reality we all get caught up in the small seemingly insignificant unplanned task that come like thieves in the night (except they come in the middle of the day) to steal our time and more importantly our joy. They swoop in and suck the life blood out of our day....Now I have to admit one of my guilty pleasures is watching what I call bubble head boob tube television shows where I pretty much zone out and escape from my jammed packed deliriously busy day. One of the shows I enjoy watching is the Vampire Diaries...I know I shouldn't but I do...It's so funny to me that most of the youth and many adults like me are enamoured by these fictional creatures whose necessity for survival is to hunt, stalk and suck the blood out of their prey.... now bear with me here I do have a point...lol
This whole vampire phenomenon makes me think about a poster I have in my office that says "no energy vampires allowed". Ha! That is so much easier said than done. I believe the author who wrote that was talking about people who steal your energy. What I find that is equally frustration and that steals my joy is when I let an avoidable unimportant task be an "energy vampire" throughout my day...So what can we do???
STOP!!!!! Stop letting people and things impose their agenda into your already planned day. I do understand that you have to give yourself wiggle room but come on...when you have a planned schedule stick to it. Prioritize your task...Do First Things F..irst. Sounds easy enough but it is surprising how many times I used to find myself push aside a task or job that I absolutely knew that I must get done. I knew I had a problem and I knew I had to do something about it.Do you struggle with this too??? If so I will share what has helped me in this area but I warn you it is an ongoing fluid process.You will begin recognizing the signs and setting boundaries in business and in your personal life so you can manage your time more effectively. Some experts say work while you work, be with family when you are home and play while you are playing.
I challenge each of you to do what I did last year.. Commit to keeping a two week log and journal everything you do all day long.. now don't zone out on me just yet...yes this is difficult but it was one of the most revealing exercises I have ever done. It will amaze you all of the things you spend your time doing everyday. For me after a few days I began to see patterns in my day...I began to understand what time of day that I felt the best and the times I felt most productive. It was very telling. After the first week of keeping the journal and comparing what I actually did to my calendar of what I was supposed to do, I realized I needed to change some things. I realized that my life was not in very good balance.
That is why it is so important to journal from the time you get up in the morning until the time you go to bed at night. Time Management Is Not Just For Business...it is about family, spirituality and recreation also. Think of your life like a big wheel...then divide your wheel into quadrants...In mine there is spiritual, family, work and recreation. You decide what's in yours. Then determine how much time you devote to each area of your life. For me I realized that my wheel was way out of whack....in fact if my wheel was rolling down the road it would have been a very bumpy ride...lol
I could talk all night on this subject but in respect to managing my time better I am about to shut up...In this area there is so much to learn and it is an ongoing challenge for us all. I will check back in with you in two weeks to see how you are doing...Remember the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem...if you struggle with this..First admit it ,then move into action.
Get a journal and beginning tomorrow, start recording your activity and how much time you spend doing it. I promise it will reveal areas you can adjust...Good luck and God Bless:)

2 comments:

  1. Great information I wander if after 21 days of journaling your wheel would be round?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...I used to watch Vampire Diaries too... All very true stuff though; it's amazing how making the simplist changes can greatly affect your life. I.e. deleting the facebook app off your iphone... :)

    ReplyDelete